Motor Vehicle Insurance

I caused a motor vehicle accident. The person in the other vehicle suffered serious injuries. The only motor vehicle insurance coverages I have under my insurance policy are Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage - Liability. Will either coverage cover me for the other person's injuries? No. The only type of motor vehicle insurance that will cover this type of loss is called Bodily Injury (BI). Unlike PIP and PD - Liability, it is not a mandatory coverage in Florida. Even if you had BI, the limit of coverage under your policy may not be high enough to cover the damage from serious personal injuries. While the minimum BI coverage limit is $10,000, a policy's BI limit can be in the millions of dollars. Another advantage to having BI coverage is that the insurance company is obligated to provide a defense attorney in case their insured is sued.